Best Vacuum for Stairs
Cleaning the house is painstaking as it is – it’s even worse without the best vacuum for stairs. I hate cleaning and other housework, I can’t lie. Not only do I dislike it, but I’m also terrible at it. I always look around after finishing up and see missed spots that I should have easily got the first time around.
My archenemy is the stairs! For the life of me, I could never get a good vacuum cleaner over them. The carpet made it so much worse than it needed to be. I would often just give up on it and hope that some magical force would take care of it for me. Needless to say, it didn’t!
I thought vacuum cleaners were useless and that they weren’t made for stairs. Luckily I was wrong. I remember falling prey to some click-bait and was stunned to watch an infomercial clip on how to vacuum the stairs. The first thing I noticed was that I had the wrong gear. I had the wrong vacuum, the wrong fittings, everything!
Well, skipping ahead, cleaning up around the house still isn’t a joy. I don’t think I’ll ever like it – but it’s FAR EASIER with the right tools. Enough about me though, it’s you that I’m writing this for. I want to save you loads of time and money. I’ve brought together this list of vacuum cleaners that work like magic on the stairs.
Here’s a Comparison Table to Help You Out
You can use this table as a guide to compare the vacuums on their main features. You’ll see them face to face. If you already have a good idea of what you’re looking for, use this table to look for the vacuums that stand out to you, and skip ahead to it.
If you don’t have a clear idea of what you want, I suggest you go through each of the reviews to see which ones stand out to you. You’ll build a better understanding of what to expect at each price point, and have a better baseline to judge other vacuums by.
They’ll make cleaning up far less dreadful and time-consuming. We’ll take a look at the 10 best vacuums for stairs and hard to reach places. You’ll find all the information you need. By the end of the guide and review, you’ll be ready to make an informed choice and get your hands on the vacuum that’s best for you! We’ll cover their real-world performance, quality, things to know and what we liked and didn’t like about each of them.
With all that said, let’s get into the guide!
Some Important Things to Know First to buy Best Vacuum for Stairs
I didn’t just throw this list together at random. There are a lot of things that are considered. I’ll tell you about some of these quickly so that you have a good idea of what matters! I want to help you build a baseline and know the standards you should expect. As with all other things in life, there is a balance.
There is no perfect product out there, and this is true for vacuums too. None of these are perfect and that’s not a bad thing either. There’s always a give and take. One vacuum will excel at something, and be slightly below average on another. You need to decide what’s more important to you.
That’s why I suggest you take 10 minutes and lay out exactly what is most important to you – I’ll handle the rest.
Handheld Vs Freestanding
You’ll need to decide if you want the smaller handheld vacuums, or the longer, larger and heavier freestanding one.
There are a couple of things to think about as freestanding vacuums are more expensive. This extra cost goes into making them more powerful and gives them a larger carrying capacity.
They are heavier and less versatile when trying to vacuum hard to reach spaces like sofas and stairs.
The handheld vacuums can get these spots easily but will require more effort to vacuum large areas, like a living room carpet.
You need to decide which of these two more closely meets your needs.
Bag Canisters Vs Bagless
Some vacuums have carry bags that need to be removed. There are some easy-to-use ones and some messy ones.
I avoid the dusty ones because they are a headache to empty, especially if you live in an urban area.
There are other options like the water filter ones. This removes the dusty aspect at the cost of reduced durability for the vacuum. They’re more fragile and harder to repair.
There are a couple of different options that you can look into, and you’ll see a number of them in this guide. The most important point to remember here is finding the right balance between ease-of-use and durability.
Real-World Performance Vs Claimed Performance
If you decide to go with a vacuum that isn’t on this list, bear in mind that very frequently the claims they make seldom live up to them.
This is especially true for online products. The ones on this list have been tried and tested. There are also hundreds of reviews on each that can paint a very accurate picture of what you can expect.
If you do decide to go with a vacuum, not on this list, do your due diligence. Extensive research will make you less likely to buy poor quality, or falsely advertised vacuum.
Cost Vs Quality
This is a fine balance and very tough to find. It’s easy to slap a high price tag onto a vacuum and claim that it’s high-quality.
The good news is that there are options on the market that are fairly priced AND deliver exceptional quality – often worthy of far higher prices.
I’ve done my best to present you with as many of these rare and fantastic offers as I could find.
The good value will pay itself back over time, but poor-quality will always be a drain.
Now, with all that said, let’s move on!
Here Are Our 10 Picks for Best Vacuum for Stairs Reviewed
This section will take a deeper look into each of the vacuums. You’ll have a very good idea of the realistic performance you can expect, some of the unique and important features, and what we liked and didn’t like about each of them.
Let’s get into the reviews!
1. Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Vacuum
- Ultra-Light Vacuum Cleaner
- TruePet Mini Motorized Brush
- 15-foot Power Cord Hand Vacuum
- Portable and Ultra-Lightweight
- Handheld Deep Cleaning
- Easy-to-Empty Dust Cup
- 15-Foot-Long Power Cord
- Empties with the Touch of a Button.
- Powerful Cleaning from Start to Finish
This is a very well-made vacuum and a top choice for the best handheld vacuum for stairs!
It’s a little on the heavy side (still nothing compared to the weight of the freestanding vacuums), but not so much that it’s difficult to use.
The cable is long enough to let you clean the stairs without worrying about pulling the cable. If you’re cleaning two flights of stairs then you might need an extension.
The bagless design is awesome and saves you loads of time and hassle. The filters are easily removable and washable.
There is a nearly zero-maintenance cost to this vacuum. It’s very well designed and will take its fair share of knocks.
It’s excellent at cleaning the carpet on the stairs thanks to the motorized brush.
All it’s missing is a shoulder strap to take the weight off your arms. I’d also like to have seen a conversion adapter to add more length to the arm.
If you’re a little handy, you can get one of these online and do it yourself. You can also make your shoulder strap for ultimate comfort.
- Ultra-portable and easy-to-hold design
- The long cable lets you clean the stairs easily
- Bagless design is clean and efficient
- Filters are easy to take off and are washable
- Slightly heavy for a handheld vacuum
- No conversion adapter (though you can buy one separately)
2. Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum
- Portable, Lightweight Handheld Vacuum
- Vacuum For Home, Car or Garage
- Weighs less than 5 Pounds
- Motorized Brush with on/off Switch
- Cleaning of Carpets
- 20-Foot Cord
- 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Integrated Filter with Easy to Empty Dust Canister
This is an incredibly versatile handheld vacuum. It’s probably the best vacuum for stairs and hardwood floors at this price.
It has a unique Riser Visor system to make cleaning the stairs effortless.
It can clean on a variety of surfaces with ease. There’s also a handy crevice tool that clips into the side of the vacuum. The suction power of this tool is strong, though not always very consistent.
The filters can be replaced with washable ones if you prefer those. The ones that come on the vacuum can be cleaned, but aren’t washable.
The main issue I see with this vacuum is the durability. It heats up quickly and is better used in short bursts. This doesn’t suit me well as I prefer to get everything done in one go – but if you’re a casual cleaner, then it could be perfect for you.
I don’t think it’s built to last. The versatility and effectiveness balance this out, and despite this, it’s still a very good vacuum for stairs.
- Extremely versatile
- Crevice tool has good suction and clips into place easily
- Great for cleaning cars
- Multi-floor and surface cleaning
- Durability and longevity aren’t fantastic
- It’s loud and a little heavy
3. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
- Vacuum Type Is Upholstery, Auto, Stairs
- Power Rating: 4 Amperes
- Multi Layer Filtration
- Cyclonic Cleaning System
- 16 feet Power Cord
- Cleans Stairs, Upholstery and Hard Surfaces
- Specialized Rubber Nozzle
- Two Specially Designed Nozzles
- Corded Electric
This vacuum is exceptionally good at removing hair from carpets, furniture, and cars. It earns the “hair eraser” title it claims to hold.
The special rubber nozzle makes this possible. The nozzles are easy to pop-off with a quick push and quick to change out.
The crevice tool works well but can be a little short at times.
The unit is very compact and not too heavy. I liked how comfortable it was to hold and use.
It heated up quite a bit, but nothing too serious. I expected some minor heating from a unit at this price. It’s super-affordable and very light on the wallet.
This is likely the best vacuum for stairs and pets at this price. If you’re constantly plagued (like I am) by pet hair, this vacuum is a lifesaver.
The filters can’t be removed and washed, but a couple of taps against the side of the trash can get most of the dust off. If you want washable ones, you’ll need to order it on its own.
- Ergonomic design, very comfortable to use for longer cleaning sessions
- Excellent value for money and affordability
- Removes pet hair better than almost everything I’ve used at this price
- Strong suction power
- Some minor heating issues, though nothing too serious
- Filters can’t be washed
4. Eureka NES210 3-in-1 Swivel Stick Vacuum
- 3-In-1 design with onboard crevice tool
- Only 4 Pounds
- Swivel Steering
- Capture Nozzle Picks up Larger
- Push Larger Particles around
- Powerful 2 Amp Motor
- 18′ Power Cord and X-Large Dust Cup
- Erfect for Hard Floors, Area Rugs, and Low Pile Carpets
This vacuum is good at giving the floor, stairs and other surfaces a thorough clean. It doesn’t push bigger particles around, while still managing to suck up dust and pollen.
It does a good job of improving the air quality and uses the water filtration system to clean up the rest.
The swivel handle makes it easier than you’d expect to get a good clean on the stairs. You’ll be able to get right into the corners.
When you want to clean the vertical sides of the stairs, just collapse the extendable handle down and use the vacuum as a handheld one.
It’s lightweight and comfortable to use for longer periods.
There weren’t any heating issues that reared their ugly heads.
There are safety precautions in place to make this vacuum more environmentally friendly and safer for regular use.
The suction power is a little low when using the flat head fitting, which might mean vacuuming thick rugs can be a bit tough.
It’s a great vacuum for stairs that has an extendable handle at this price.
- Swivel handle gives you excellent control
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Picks up big particles instead of pushing them around
- Versatile set of attachments and fittings
- Not the most durable vacuum
- Flathead attachment lacks suction power
5. Bissell 1782 Pet Hair Vacuum
- Cordless Hand Vacuum
- Motorized Foot Provides Powerful Suction
- Power Rating : 14.4 Volts
- Dirt Cup Capacity: 0.7 L
- Crevice Tool Helps Clean Hard Areas
- Telescoping Extension Wand
- Easy-to-Empty dirt bin
- Help Get Rid of Pet Hair Easily
- Upholstery Tool Cleans Soft Surfaces and Furniture
Here’s a top choice for the best cordless vacuum for stairs. The cordless design makes it perfect for large rooms and hard-to-reach spots.
It’s brilliant at cleaning carpeted stairs and upholstery. There are a couple of different attachments that can be used together, or separately, for different cleaning jobs.
You’ll easily get rid of all pet and other hair on your couches. The crevice tool lets you get nice and deep into your couches – and the extension wand furthers its reach even more.
The value for money here is excellent and the features give you broad, versatile control over your cleaning.
The charging is relatively quick, and the battery life is okay. I’d like to see a little more juice from it, but it’ll do the job as it is.
I was surprised by the suction power, despite being battery powered. I never realized how strong it can get, especially with the crevice tool.
The combination of attachments and fittings can get you a good clean on almost any surface or material.
This is one of my favorite picks for the best vacuum for stairs – and it will clean up all your pets’ hair in the process.
- Good suction power despite being battery powered
- Very quiet and easy to use
- Not needing a cord for power is awesome – I’m obsessed with the utility
- Versatile attachments are excellent at picking up all hair
- The filters aren’t washable, though its screens are
- Battery life could be better
6. Bissell Handheld Hair Removing Vacuum
- Pet Hair Eraser Li Ion Purchase
- Remove More Embedded Dirt
- 14v Lithium Ion Battery
- Dirt Cup Capacity: 0.7 Litres
- Large, Easy to Empty Dirt Bin
- Triple Level Filtration
- Set of Specialized Pet Tools
- Remove Pet Hair with a Motorized Brush Tool
- Motorized Brush Tool, Upholstery Tool, and Crevice Tool
The 14V lithium-ion battery is excellent. It holds its charge well and packs quite a punch when compared to many of the other battery-powered options at this price.
You can quickly get through your cleaning flawlessly and effortlessly. The crevice tool is powerful and gets everything out of the smaller and tighter spaces.
The brush is one of the best I’ve used. It’s motorized, which gets you better results while cleaning. You’ll pick up more hair, and also get in-grained dust and dirt out of various materials.
The filters are easy to remove and wash with a light detergent. This helps your cleaning results stay pristine.
The upholstery tool is one of my favorites and does a fantastic job cleaning my car seats. It’s a top choice for the best small vacuum for stairs.
- Up to 17 minutes of run time
- Easy to remove and wash the filters
- The vacuum is lightweight and easy to hold
- Suction power is excellent
- Charge times are quite long – you’ll have to delay your cleaning sessions for longer
- Long-term durability may be an issue as the battery loses health relatively fast
7. HoLife Handheld Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- Handheld Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- 1.1V Li-ion Battery
- Powered Rechargeable Quick Charge
- Tech and Cyclone Suction
- Lightweight Hand Vacuum
- Backed by 45-day
- Equipped with Various Attachments
- It Is Cordless Allowing You Free Movement
- Easily Clean Dust, Crumbs, Pet Hair, as Well as Liquids.
Here are another lightweight and ultra-portable handheld vacuum cleaner.
It has a dual filter system that gets an even better clean. The filters are easy and quick to remove for washing.
The battery and suction are both powerful, more than you’d expect.
Be careful when disassembling the vacuum for maintenance as you might risk losing a lot of suction power.
It’s very durable and easy to use, especially for awkward angles like on stairs. The versatility justifies the cost quickly and gives you serious control over your cleaning.
This is probably the best lightweight vacuum for stairs at this price!
- Easy to use and hold
- Very lightweight and ultra-portable
- Excellent battery power and run time
- Fantastic value for money
- Suction power is a little on the low side
- Not very easy to clean the vacuum without risking damaging it
8. Bissell Zing Bagged Canister Vacuum
- Zing Bagged Canister Vacuum
- 2 Liters Bag Capacity.
- Portable, Multi-Surface Cleaning
- Powerful suction
- Easily Go from Cleaning Carpets
- Automatic Cord Rewind for Quick Cord Storage
- The push of a Button
- Variable Suction Control, Full Bag Indicator
- Great for Bare Floors, Rugs and above-Floor Cleaning
Here’s an option if you’re into the traditional bagged vacuum cleaners.
It’s perfect if you have some mild arachnophobia. You won’t need to worry about cleaning out spider-filled filters – just tag off the bag and throw it all away.
The unit is heavy, there’s no avoiding it with these bagged vacuums. It backs this extra weight up with some serious suction power.
The main issue I had with this was no motorized brush. This means the job of brushing up the carpet passes onto you. If you don’t do this, you won’t get a half-decent clean on any carpet.
The cord is automatically pulled back into the vacuum. I loved this because I hate having to deal with knots and tangles that magically from out of nowhere.
It’s an awesome bagged choice for the best vacuum for stairs and hardwood floors.
- The bag is useful if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of cleaning and removing filters
- Solid vacuum with some serious suction power
- Automatically retracting power supply cord is awesome
- No heating issues and good durability
- The vacuum is heavy and relatively hard to maneuver
- The cord doesn’t retract fully after having the vacuum for a while
9. Shark Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum
- Powerful Cordless Handheld Vacuum
- Lithium-Ion Battery
- Convenient for All Cleaning Surfaces
- Twister Suction Technology
- Giving It Strong Suction Power
- Removes Pet Hair and Ground-in Dirt
- Motorized Brush for Embedded Messes
- The Dust Cup Holds 0.43 Dry Quarts
- Clean fro Upholstery, Carpets, Car Mats and Seats
This vacuum ticks all the boxes you’d expect from a handheld model at this price.
It’s easy to clean and even easier to use. It’s the lightest one we’ve looked at so far and feels like a cloud.
The suction is strong and combines with the motorized brush brilliantly. Pet and human hair is no match for this vacuum.
It’s perfect for cleaning carpets, carpeted stairs, and sofas. You’ll get through them effortlessly.
Overall, it’s a fantastic choice for the best hand vacuum for stairs.
- Good suction
- Very quiet
- Excellent value for money
- Filters are durable and easy to clean
- The vacuum heats quite a lot when used for more than 15 minutes
- Battery life and run times aren’t too good
10. Pure Clean Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- Easy 1 Touch Power up
- 2.9” Thin Low Profile
- Wireless Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- Hardwood Flooring and Short Carpet
- 2 Auto Side Sweeper Brushes
- Air Pure and Fine Dust Particles
- No Brush Design and Powerful Suction
- Travel through Any Room and Is Small Enough
- Lithium Battery Life for up to 90 Min Run Time
Robot cleaners are excellent if you’re a busy person. The charge time is around 4 hours and the runtime is just under an hour.
It cleans relatively quickly thanks to the smart obstacle detection and fall-prevention. This makes it perfect for houses that have stairs – you won’t have to worry about the robot falling.
The clean quality is excellent. There are dual motorized brushed that lift dirt and debris from tough surfaces. The powerful suction makes sure that this all gets taken up.
The capacity isn’t huge, but it’s enough for the runtime. You’ll likely need to break it down room by room. A whole house will take you more than a day to do a full vacuum.
This is the best vacuum for stairs, carpets and more. It’s versatile and has a mind of its own!
- Very little effort needed on your part
- Dust filters are easy to wash
- Runtime is good
- Build quality is excellent
- Charge times are pretty slow
- It can get stuck sometimes
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You should have everything you need to make the best choice possible.
All that’s left is for you to decide which vacuum best meets your needs, and get it on order – it’s as simple as that.
Once you have the best vacuum for stairs, getting the perfect clean will be easier and quicker than ever before!
Leave a Reply